Saturday, April 17, 2010

Random Funny Things My Kids Say - Part 40

We went out to dinner at a very nice, very fancy restaurant. The kids oooohed and ahhhhed over the place. The chandeliers were a fancy bubble like pattern. They used cloth napkins instead of paper. They had fancy leather padded chairs and the staff wore ties. But it wasn't until the bathrooms that the kids really got excited. Burnished brass fixtures in a marble bathroom with wicker baskets, perfumed soap, and even mouthwash.

Angus announced to the whole restaurant that she'd never been in such a fancy bathroom before.

Unfortunately, the kids did not like their overly priced dinner. Some fancy schmancy attempt at gourmet pizza for kids with a Mediterranean twist that none of them liked. Youngest announced that it smelled like cat food. Angus just ate the bread. Oldest ate Da Man's food instead.

As we got up from our table and began the long trek through the restaurant to the door, the kids start to complain about their dinner.

Youngest - I'm still hungry.

Me - You should have ate more at dinner.

Youngest - But I didn't like it!

Me - Too bad.

Youngest (to her sisters) - This place is disappointing. The food is not as good as its bathroom.

Ironically, their favorite restaurants are these hole in the wall places with fabulous food and bathrooms you wouldn't catch me dead in. So is there a correlation? I don't want to even think about it.

6 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

Cozy home cooking - my "kids" still like that the best. We've gone to some fancy smancy places and you wouldn't believe the places the kids pick - SERIOUSLY.

And, it's like my cakes I've been decorating - the kids say, can't you just fix the ones you always have - with the fresh fruit and whip cream? And I'm spending weeks learning how to make fondant, which they peel off. Go figure.

Sage Ravenwood said...

I'm with the kids. I absolutely love those hole in the wall Diners. You don't spend a fortune and the food tastes like home.

Otherwise I'm more apt to eat at home. Comfort and home cooked appeals to me.

I have to agree on the bathrooms though. I'm just going to chalk it up to the Diner being so busy cooking 'real' food it doesn't have time to worry about the bathrooms. At least I hope. (Hugs)Indigo

Tyhitia Green said...

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. The place looked fabulous but the food tasted what I can only describe as ear wax. LOL. Youngest had the right idea.

laughingwolf said...

i'll take good grub over fancy throne rooms any day! i'm with the girls...

JaneyV said...

I had my best meal in the US in a hole-in-the-wall diner. I'm with the kids all the way. Just use the fancy restaurants to pee in!

Bossy Betty said...

Oh yeah. This sounds familiar! We used to try to expose our kids to nice restaurants. It was a disaster. Nothing like those funky family places to make everybody happy!

Search This Blog