Thursday, August 30, 2012

An Interview and A Thank You

I did an interview with the fabulous Bethany Hensel! Go check out my super smart answers right here.

So if you have read it and come back, I want to talk about that one question that she asked with regards to how I feel about knowing people are reading my book. I want to elaborate a little more on what I said because it is really important to me.

There have been so many of you who have been with me since the querying days. Seen me through losing an agent and getting a new one. Consoled me through rejections. You guys have been there with me and I've always been so grateful.

And then there are all the wonderful new people who have heard of my book and have provided an outpouring of support and love for PROPHECY. They've made it their Wednesday WOW picks. They talk about how excited they are to read it. They help promote my book. And I'm so blown away and grateful to them all. To YOU all!

So the thing I fear the most is disappointing everyone. What if everyone hates it? What if they are disappointed? I know I shouldn't worry about things like this. I know this isn't healthy, especially because it is completely out of my hands.

HOwever, I can do one thing. I can tell you that I did the best I could to make PROPHECY as good as I can, but I know it is not going to be everyone's cup of tea and that's OK! I totally understand and don't expect everyone to like it.

But here's my request - I would like to ask that if you read PROPHECY and don't like it as much as you wanted to, I hope that you will still stick around. My book, as much as I love it, is separate from me as a person. And even if you don't like my book, I will still like you. So don't feel like you have to avoid me or cross the street when you see me. After all, this happens in life all the time. People have different opinions and we can still like and appreciate each other. And hey, maybe one day I'll write a book you DO like! I'm forever optimistic.

So no matter what the future holds, whether or not you read, like, or don't like PROPHECY, you guys will still all be my blog buddies, my twitter tweeps, my facebook friends! I will be forever grateful and appreciative of all the support you have given me for you have made this publication journey a great joy to share.

Thank you!
All my best,
Ellen

5 comments:

Virginia said...

It will be great and so are you.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow.

Don't be ridiculous.

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, and maybe it's scary for all of us to say IT WILL BE GREAT I WILL LOVE IT when we've never read your actual fiction writing, only your personal non-fiction, chatty stuff.

So let me say, I'm not expecting your NOVEL to be in the voice of ELLEN OH. I will read your novel as a novel, without preconceived notions, but in the frame of mind that I am ready to enjoy a book. Not as a critiquer, because HELL. I AM OFF DUTY. I AM GOING TO BE A RECREATIONAL READER.

So, I am excited for your success, and want to participate in driving it even further.

But Ellen, you are you. Not what you can produce. You are gracious, generous, and a hell of a lot of fun. I hope one of these days I will get back to SCBWILA or another conference where we will meet again.

Elsie Chapman said...

Well, I've already read PROPHECY and loved it, so no disappointment here, Ellen Oh! And we would have been friends forever, regardless. Crazy lady.

Anonymous said...

Aw well said Ellen! :) And thanks again for the interview. It was fun. :)

Bethany
bethanyhensel.com

Kimbra Kasch said...

Of course we'll love it . . . but that's sooo sweet of you :D as usual - it's on my TBR list

Search This Blog